MLEA Legal Office
The Maritime Law Enforcement Academy’s (MLEA) Legal office promotes personnel readiness by providing consultation, advice, and assistance to eligible clients on personal civil legal matters as resources allow. The Legal Assistance Attorney is required to provide confidential services and may not lawfully be ordered to disclose private and/or privileged information by any superior authority. When a legal problem is not within the scope of MLEA’s Legal Assistance Program, referral can be made to outside counsel.
The MLEA Legal Office is located in Building 654 onboard the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in North Charleston, South Carolina. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 0800 to 1630. Appointments may be scheduled on Fridays (closed weekends and holidays). Walk-Ins are reserved for emergency & time-sensitive matters only. If you’d like to request assistance, you can contact MLEA’s Legal Assistant at (843) 740-6614. You can speed up the appointment process by first filling out a Request for Legal Assistance.
If you’d like to request assistance, please send an email request to MLEA’s Legal Assistant at
MLEA’s Legal Office handles Military Justice issues solely for the Commander of MLEA. If you are seeking command advice, please contact your servicing legal office. If you are seeking personal defense services or military defense counsel, you may contact the Office of Member Advocacy, CG-LMA-D at HQS-DG-LST-CG-LMA-D@uscg.mil or reference the Defense Services Informational Flyer.
MLEA is authorized to provide legal assistance services only to those persons eligible under COMDTINST 5801.4 (series), Section 5.a. Eligible clients are as follows:
- Members of the Armed forces who are on active duty (including reservists on active duty or scheduled for deployment).
- Members and former members entitled to retired, retainer, pay or equivalent pay.
- Officers of the commissioned corps of the Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who are on active duty or entitled to retired or equivalent pay.
- Dependents of members and former members described in above paragraphs.
- Other persons authorized by the Judge Advocate General.
Available legal assistance services include: Last will and testaments, powers of attorney (general & special), consumer affairs, minor family law issues, landlord/tenant disputes, Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) protections, and notary services.
In order for the Legal Assistance Attorney to provide accurate and helpful advice, it is imperative that he/she has a copy of all documents and written correspondence. Please bring one copy and an original of all relevant documents to your legal assistance appointment. Possible relevant documents may include, but are not limited to:
- Lending agreements
- Credit card statements / Bank statements
- Letters to/from creditors, landlords or other parties to the dispute
- Child support orders
- Birth certificates / Dates of birth
- Social Security numbers / Correct spelling of all names
- Green cards
*Active duty personnel must be in the uniform of the day to conduct business at MLEA.
LEGAL ASSISTANCE FORMS
LEGAL ASSISTANCE INFORMATIONAL HANDOUTS
OTHER LOCAL LEGAL RESOURCES
- SC Bar Association Legal Assistance Military Program (LAMP):
- Pro Bono Program Paralegal:
- U.S. Air Force Legal Assistance
- Joint Base Charleston – Weapons Station
628th Air Base Wing/Judge Advocate
2316 Redbank Road, Building 84
Goose Creek, SC 29445
- Joint Base Charleston – Air Base
102 E Hill Blvd., Room 135, Building 16000 (Wing HQs)
Charleston Air Force Base, SC 29404
- U.S. Armed Forces Legal Assistance Services Locator: https://legalassistance.law.af.mil/
- South Carolina Centers for Equal Justice (Legal Aid)
2803 Carner Avenue
North Charleston, SC 29405-8025
843-720-7044 or 800-868-2284