Electrical training courses focus on fundamental knowledge, theory of equipment operation, and practical maintenance and troubleshooting skills for Coast Guard Electrician Mates. Courses include Electrician's Mate "A" School and a wide variety of "C" Schools.
Electrician's Mate "A" School
Electrician's Mate "A" school is a 19-week intensive course of instruction designed to train non-rated personnel to perform the duties of a Coast Guard Third Class Electricians Mate. The American Council on Education (ACE) has evaluated this course and recommends the following credits in the Lower-Division Baccalaureate/associate degree category: three (3) semester hours in basic electricity, three (3) semester hours in AC & DC circuit theory, three (3) in electrical power distribution, three (3) in electrical circuits troubleshooting and maintenance, one (1) in industrial safety, and one (1) in blueprint reading. It includes training and practical exercises in a wide range of topics including:
- Power distribution systems
- Lighting systems
- Motors and controllers
- Interior communication systems
- Galley, scullery, and laundry equipment
- Electric damage control equipment
- Small boat electrical systems
- Deck machinery equipment
- Shore power
Electrician's Mate "C" Courses
These courses include a wide variety of specialized training and instruction in electrical systems, test and field equipment, and associated skills. Specific courses are:
- Advanced Analog Electronics Technology (EM-01)
- Advanced Digital Electronics Technology (EM-02)
- Fiber Optics Maintenance Technician (EM-03)
- Introduction to Programmable Logic Controllers (EM-04)
- 378 Hero Class Console (EM-04A)
- Power Generation and Speed Controls (EM-05)
- Caterpillar 3508B Electronic Fuel Injection and Engine Monitoring System Course (EM-05A)
- MK-27 Gyrocompass System (EM-20)
- 270 WMEC Machinery Plant Control & Monitoring System (EM-25).
- MK-29 MOD-1 Gyrocompass System (EM-26).
- 110 "A" and "B" WPB Control Systems (EM-32).
- 110 "C" WPB Machinery Control and Alarm System (EM-33).
Coast Guard Employee Access
It is recommended each Coast Guard employee visit TCYorktown's Portal site for additional Electrician's Mate training information. Coast Guard Employee Access.