Welcome to Voluntary Education



1. Can I use tuition assistance for an additional associates degree if I have a bachelors degree already?

TA is authorized for courses leading to the first certificate, Associate,
Bachelor, and Master’s degree. TA is not authorized for members pursuing additional
degrees at the same or lower level regardless of how they received their first degree
(e.g.: if the applicant already has a Bachelor’s degree, TA must not be authorized
for an Associates or Bachelor’s degree even if the degree was obtained at a service
academy, through the CG advanced education program, via grants or loans, VA benefits,
or paid for out of the member’s own pocket). TA is not authorized for any degree
above a Master’s degree, including Juris Doctor (JD), doctoral degrees (PhD), and
similar terminal degrees.

2. How much tuition assistance can I use?

The Coast Guard will fund tuition cost, not to exceed $250.00 per semester hour,
$166.67 per quarter hour, or $16.67 per clock hour. The annual cap for reimbursement
of TA is $3750.00 per member. Other Coast Guard sources of funding and reimbursement
programs for education expenses can be found on the Education and Training Quota
Management Command (ETQC) public-facing website:

http://www.forcecom.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/FORCECOM-UNITS/ETQC/.  The CG Foundation
Education Grant (CGFEG) is the only grant administered by ETQC. Non-Coast Guard
(federal and state) sources for need- based or merit-based financial aid can be

found at: https://studentaid.ed.gov  (including Pell grants, scholarships, and loans).

3. Can I use tuition assistance to pay for all of my college fees?

TA is not authorized for any fees. Any other college expense not listed as tuition
is considered a fee (e.g. lab, graduation, internet usage, etc.).